Monday, March 19, 2012

Cyclist is overcome in online jacket pursuit - Business First of Columbus:

Microwave Anchorage
I noticed drivers seemed to want to runme over. At I thought they had something againsty the Manin Black. Later, I realize they couldn’t see me. That’s when I discovere screaming yellow. The color radiated off a cycling jacket I found at my neighborhood bike It was a PearpIzumi Zephyrr. At $70, the garment seeme like a good investment. Screaming yelloww is a color that doesn’t exist in It is so bright that itcauses people’ eyes to vibrate, which, in makes their fillings rattle, which, in generates a high-pitched squeal in theire ears that sounds like a scream, hencd the name. Screaming yellow offers a cyclist a force fieldxof protection.
Pedestrians retreayt to the curb to cover their Drivers swerve out ofthe way. The color has been known to induce toothaches. My screaming yellow Pearl Izumi Zephyrr served me well for Until Ilost it. I frettedf about shelling out another70 bucks, but I realized it was the cheapestr insurance policy I couldx ever buy. I went to the bike shop and purchasecd an updated model with anadded It, too, served me well for until the zipper broke a few months ago.
The malfunction rendered the jackegt useless and I had tobuy Unfortunately, my latest misfortune arrived during the greatest economic downturnj since the Great Depression, whichb is why, in Depression-era you never see anyone wearing a screaming yellowe bicycle jacket. I hesitated to plunk down $70. That monegy could keep my family in pasta for a ButI didn’t want to get flattened on the either.
I told my wife and kids that I wouled seek a bargain on My family applaudedmy thriftiness, and I found the auctionb site crawling with Pearl Izumi I located a jacket that was a step up from what I It even had detachable sleeves, which would come in handy if anyone ever asked to borroew them. But it wasn’t screaming yellow; it was Even so, I bagged it for $38. I lookedx sharp, but not florescent. So I went back I spotted a cycling jacket made by a PearlkIzumi competitor. I outsmarted the competitioj and grabbed the itemfor $32. When it arriveds in the mail, I discovered it was but not screaming. Worse, the waist was cut to the dimensions ofa lumberjack’s wedge.
I looked like a “Another jacket?” said my “Um, yes,” I replied. “It looks she said. This left me no other optionb than to go backon eBay, where I found a slightly used Pearl Izumi Zephyrdr jacket purportedly in screaming yellow. “I think my husbanfd wore this jacketmaybe once,” the seller wrote. I nabbed it for $28. When it came in the I found it hard to believwthe seller’s husband wore it just unless it was for three consecutive years. the jacket wasn’t screaming It was pea-soup green. It wouldn’t scard anyone who wasn’t wearing a tie. “Another said my wife. “It’s nothing,” I mumbled.
Days later, my wife caughy me back online. “Don’t you think you have enough bicycled jackets?” she said. Later, her tone changed. “If you ordedr that …,” she said, but never finished her sentence. I was forcexd to go underground. Late one night, I found a screamin yellow Pearl Izumi Zephyrr on eBay forthe buy-it-no w price of $49.95. I making sure I deleted the e-mail that confirmeed the purchase.
The jacket arrived new, fitted and louder than a marchinggband – and somehow I managed to don it I now realize I’ve run up a bill of $148 for four more than twice as much as I would have paid in my bike shop for the jacketf I wanted in the first place. But at leasg I own my screaming yellowdream jacket. I supposer I can sell the otherson

No comments:

Post a Comment